Thursday, March 5, 2009

Innovation and Viral Marketing at it's best

These guys explain how it works.




Try it for yourself here:
http://ge.ecomagination.com/smartgrid/#/augmented_reality


This is absolutely the coolest thing. I don't want to over exaggerate by saying ever and I don't want to understate by saying today, but this is the coolest thing I've seen somewhere between today and ever.

The reason I say so, is because I used to work in advertising and love appreciating such magnificent feats of heavy lifting by creative muscle. Essentially there are a few aspects that make it cool. First off it is an extremely clever piece of technical innovation. Second I imagine it's really fun to play with and marvel at. Third it is a little cerebral for the general public, but it is a very intelligent advertising campaign. It's basically intended as a viral ad. Having creative directed a few viral projects myself, I have an inside appreciation for what makes this so refreshing.

Most of viral marketing's early phases involved humor or shock. For the most part it still does. However, we did see the show Heroes and The Movies Transformers and The Bourne Identity implement some pretty elaborate web presences that kept its users involved. Although, I am less amused as once you get past their merits in excecution they boil down to digital bread crumb trails that leave its viewers engaged in a game of internet sleuthing. This isn't a thesis paper, so I will refrain from delving into the details. What's pertinent is that GE's campaign is an entirely new dimension to the spectrum of viral strategies.

The nature of viral marketing is that the brand message is passed along to the target demo, by the target demo itself. Pros include reaching the demo from the inside out escaping the media filtration process as they are passed along by the demo with the demo's approval (I have long been saying that our most trusted media filter these days is word of mouth). Cons include not being able to decide what goes viral, and that viral strategies are a fuzzy gamble on the part of the advertisers. Cultural consciousness is an elusively dynamic beast and popping up on its radar is a difficult matter of careful dissection.

What makes GE's "Augmented Reality" so great, is that they have tapped into our fascination with innovation itself. The strategy is completely appropriate given the message is about GE's smart grid as a work of innovation. I saw it (passed to me) and I instantly passed it to 3 people in my office. I'm now blogging about it and passing it further to my entire twitter list and facebook friends. Time will tell how well this campaign is received and further analysis is required to sample whether the medium successfully carries the message or over-shadows it. Still, I think its Amazing.

Wow!

-MM

No comments:

Post a Comment